New equipment has been ordered by the Club after careful consideration by the Croquet Steering Committee. Here’s what you can expect:
1) We’ll be getting eight new mallets, four made by our own Lorne Oakes and Peter Rassenti, and four from Oakley Woods, the top croquet equipment supplier in North America. Lorne and Peter’s mallets will feature a variety of shaft lengths, head lengths, and weights, so you can try out different options as you consider buying your own personal mallet. Lorne and Peter are charging only for the materials, and not for the craftsmanship that make their mallets so excellent. The Oakley Woods mallets are standard commercial mallets, all with 9” heads, but two have 36” handles and two have 34” handles (for people who are more vertically-challenged or simply prefer to bend over more). Some of the mallets we’ve been borrowing from CPLBC will be returned, but we’ll have around 14 mallets in the equipment room, which should provide an ample stock for classes and general play.
2) We’ll be getting two additional sets of “Foxy” hoops, like the best set of hoops we now have. This will allow us to set up as many as four courts when we have classes, rentals to groups that want to play croquet, and tournaments. We’ll probably be using two sets for our regular set-ups.
3) We’ll be getting three sets of balls, which will include two sets of Dawson tournament quality balls, and one set of good Sunshiny balls. All of these balls are equal to or superior to the balls we’ve been using.
4) We’re also going to get additional cords for laying down courts, as well as flags, center pegs, markers, timers, and the other paraphernalia that make it easy to play.
5) Lorne and Peter are now working on an additional section for the croquet equipment storage area, which should accommodate all of this new material and allow us to breathe easily.