Joan Turner Mixed Triples Joan Turner was a long time member. She and her sister, Marjory Speed, were a formidable pairs team on the circuit. Over her playing career, she won many trophys. In 1970 she was the secretary/treasurer of the Greater Victoria Ladies Lawn Bowling Association (the forerunner of BSI) She was the Ladies Gold Medal singles champion of the 1980 summer games held in Kelowna. She became one of the first lady umpires and a member of the Provincial Committee in charge of umpire training, headed by Tom McKeachie. The club established the tournament to honor her in 2004.
Richard Mermer Quaddie – This plaque was presented to the club by Jean Wright in 1996 to honor Richard Mermer, a retired Physical Education teacher from Ontario. Richard was a top bowler and a highly respected coach before he passed away.
Lloyd Cup Mixed Scotch Pairs – retired in 2018 and replaced by the Honorary President’s Trophy.
Jean Wright Mixed Triples
Jean Travis Wright was born in Davidson SK in 1917 and grew up in Vancouver. She was a top singles player and a long time member and passionate supporterof the club. She served as Honorary President. She donated the trophy in memory of her husband. It was first awarded in 2002. She passed away at her home in Victoria Dec 29, 2008.
Dewar Cup Women’sPairs
David Dewar was born in Ontario, Nov 26, 1865. He moved to Victoria in 1893 and worked as a tram motorman and later as chief clerk customs BC Electric. In 1928, He was the auditor for the women’s club. It was about this time that he started generously donating $5 towards prize money for their tournaments. ($5.00 in 1920 had the same buying power as $65.22 in 2018). After his death on Jan 2, 1946 from brain cancer, his brother, R.A.C. Dewar, a past president of the club, donated this cup in his memory. David is buried in Royal Oak Burial Park. He lived at 1240 Oxford St.
Totem Mixed Pairs – This tournament has a long and interesting past. Originally, the winners were presented with a pair of authentic miniature totems. The winners could keep one each for a year and then return them for the next year’s winners. The totems were carved in the 1920’s by Charlie James, a carver from Port Townsend, Washington, at the request of club member, William Halliwell. Charles James died in 1938. There are beautiful pictures in a binder in the club. In 1984 the executive committee decided that due to the value of these totems ($3000 each) plus the need for safe-keeping, restoration etc. they should be donated to the Royal BC Museum who now holds them in their collection.
In place of the totems, a plaque is presented to the winner. The design for the plaque was created by Richard Hunt, a world famous carver, and was commissioned by Peter McNair, Curator of Ethnology at RBCM, for the club. Club member, Sam Fawcett made the plaque.
Challenge Cup – Men’s Singles – was presented to VLBC by Shortt, Hills, & Duncan Ltd. The first winner was John A. Turner in 1912. He was president of VLBC and mayor of Victoria in 1913 and premier of BC in 1908. The cup was not presented again until 1930.
McDonald Cup Women’s Singles –
was presented to the Victoria Ladies Lawn Bowling Club by Mrs. J. C. McDonald in 1932. She was among the original members of the women’s club and a very active member. In 1930, she was the Secretary-Treasurer and in 1932 she became vice-president. Also in that year she played in the Butchart Cup as 2nd on Mrs. McKeachie’s fours team.
Simmons Cup – Mrs T.A. (Florence Frances Lee)Simmons, presented this cup to the Victoria Ladies Lawn Bowling Club in 1937. She was born on Aug 30 1884 in London England. In 1934, she was elected the 1st president of the Greater Victoria Ladies Lawn Bowling Association. She was the club secretary from 1931 – 1945. 2 years later in 1947, she was again president of the GVLLBA. She was very active in all aspects of club activities. This interclub fours tournament was originally held on 2 different days about a week apart. It changed to a triples tournament in 1953. Florence Simmons died on May 14 1974 at the age of 89 and is buried in Royal Oak Cemetery.
Knut Berg Charity Cup – Knut Berg
is an honorary life member of the club. He has contributed to the club in so many ways over the years, most notably in the past, taking care of the greens In 1994, the club decided to honor him with this tournament. Knut wanted it to be a charity tournament so there are 4 different charities that are on rotation plus one other of the club’s choice.
McKeachie Mixed Triples – Tom was a well-respected rugby, football, basketball and lacrosse player in the 1940’s on fields and in gyms all over Victoria and British Columbia. He turned to cricket in the 1950’s and exchanged his many sporting jerseys for a whistle. He also officiated in basketball and lacrosse. It was in his final sport that Tom McKeachie turned his hand and mind to and left his greatest legacy. From the 1960’s to 1985, Tom was a keen and important lawn bowler, administrator and builder on the city, provincial and national scene. His pinnacle as a player came in 1973 when he won the Walt Disney Masters in Hollywood, California. Tom was president of the Victoria Lawn Bowling Club, the B.C. Lawn Bowling Association and vice-president of the Canadian Lawn Bowling Council.
(from the Greater Victoria Sports Hall of Fame where he is listed as a builder)
Tolmie Trophy – This trophy was presented to the Ladies section of VLBC in 1929 by the Hon. Simon Fraser Tolmie and Mrs. Tolmie for annual competition. From 1929-1945, the competition included teams from Pt. Grey, Kerrisdale, Terminal, Vancouver South, Stanley Park, CPR Vancouver, Burnaby, and North Vancouver. Since 1988, it has been the trophy for the Women’s League at VLBC
The Tolmie family have a long history in Victoria beginning in the early 1800’s. At the time of presentation, the Hon. S.F. Tolmie was premier of BC.
The O * O Cup for Novice Men – The cup was presented to VLBC by Duncan & Gray Ltd. The first winner was George Roberts in 1914. He was a former ship’s captain and at the time he won the cup, he was employed by E.B. Marvin & Co., Ship’s Chandlers. The cup was not presented again until 1931.